There are plenty of storage solutions on the market, but not all of them are noteworthy, as the most common solutions usually consist of data storage only. Additional data protection comes from other vendors. Open-E JovianDSS provides an enterprise-grade, feature-rich and highly available data storage solution with excellent native data protection – you only need one product to get it all. And this makes Open-E JovianDSS a perfect storage solution for virtualized computing environments, too. Here’s why:
- High Availability for business continuity
- Excellent data protection for security with On- and Off-site Data Protection
- Performance acceleration solution for business efficiency
- Data optimization for cost reductions
In this article, we provide more detailed information about the functionalities that can greatly improve managing your virtual environments. As Open-E JovianDSS is VMware Ready Storage certified for VMware vSphere® 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, we specifically recomment this hypervisor. Almost 95% of Open-E customers are using our software for virtualization with VMware.
Data Storage and Security
Open-E JovianDSS is storing data with checksums, and using atomic commits of transaction groups every 5 seconds by default. This works as random to sequential IO conversion and accelerates random writes radically. While reading the data, checksums are calculated again and compared with the originally stored checksums. In case a matching error occurs, data are recreated from parity or read from a mirror, and the bad block is automatically redirected to a new one. This feature is known as self-healing, and it guarantees complete data integrity and resistance against bad media.
Thanks to atomic commit, incomplete writes are impossible and the storage pool is always consistent. This is why there is no need for a file system check or file system repair tools. The pool is always ready for import after a hardware crash incident. Because of cosmic radiation of magnetic media errors, data corruption may occur in time. The periodically executed scrub tool proves the integrity of all data on the pool, and repairs all errors automatically.
Continuous Data Protection
Open-E JovianDSS On- and Off-Site Data Protection enables creating rotational auto-snapshots of NAS (SMB, NFS) or SAN (iSCSI) volumes according to a retention-interval plan, and optionally asynchronously replicates the differences between snapshots to the local or remote destinations. It is possible to have different retention plans for source and destination pools. Additionally, you can set up multiple destinations for higher data security and redundancy. What is more, snapshots can be easily created every minute or even more often.
The Open-E JovianDSS On- and Off-site Data Protection retention-interval plan consists of a series of retention periods to interval associations, for example:
This means that users can set up replication every 5 minutes and keep the copies for 1 hour. Additionally, he can set up replication every hour and keep the copies for 3 days. Plus, he can set up copies every one day and keep them for 1 month, and so on and so forth.
For more info about retention-interval plans, read our blog post >>
The Open-E JovianDSS On- and Off-Site Data Protection feature is based on ZFS snapshots and ZFS Send-Receive. There is marginal (almost zero) system load cost of ZFS snapshot creation and maintenance. The send-receive function enables an immediate access to data changes between consecutive snapshots and it can start replicating the data differences even every minute. Because of the frequent replication of small data changes, the backup of everything (virtual-machines, applications, databases and regular files) can be done in the background with a marginal system load. Thanks to this solution, backups can be made around the clock with a possibility to access all previous versions, and with quick disaster recovery if necessary. This is a huge advantage compared to regular backup solutions that usually generate heavy load and are scheduled to run after-hours only.
Storing VMware datastores on Open-E JovianDSS-based appliances, enables the system administrator to execute disaster recovery plans for everything – quickly and simply. It also allows you to instantly recover single virtual machines with the latest or previous versions.
High Availability and Clustering
As for High Availability, the Open-E JovianDSS Advanced Metro HA Cluster option provides virtual machines availability during a failover event between two data centers. High Availability combined with On- and Off-Site Data Protection delivers a perfect computing environment. Additionally, the software can be configured as a Virtual Machine under ESXi to enable a hyper-converged solution.
Take a look at the Open-E JovianDSS feature list:
- Data and Metadata Check-summing
- Self-Healing: Detecting and correcting Silent-Data-Errors with Scrub utility
- Atomic Transaction Writes: Data will always be consistent, no need to repair the file system)
- Native Backup and Disaster Recovery: On- & Off-Site Data Protection (Asynchronous Replication)
- Protection against Ransomware
- N-way mirrors, Single, Dual and Triple Parity RAID
- Unlimited Snapshots and Clones, Copy-on-Write
- High-Availability Dual-Controller Storage Clustering
- Active-Active and Active-Passive HA Cluster
- Advanced Metro HA Cluster
- N-way mirrors, Single, Dual and Triple Parity RAID
- Write Log (ZIL) accelerate random writes
- Random to Sequential conversion (Random-IO is written as sequential transaction group to the Pool)
- Hybrid read cache, 1st level in RAM, 2nd Read cache level with SSD
- Most Recent and Most Frequent Read Cache algorithm
- Resilver (rebuild) data only, not the whole disk
- Compression and Deduplication can improve performance
- VMware VAAI support
- Inline Compression ( LZ4, LZJB, ZLE, GZIP 1..9 )
- Inline Deduplication
- Thin and Over-Provisioning
- Snapshots and Clones
- Pooled Storage Model
- Thick, Thin and Over-Provisioning
- iSCSI, NFS, SMB (CIFS)
- Virtual IP usage